The Cook’s Loft is a premium, peaceful, self-contained two bedroom apartment which offers genuine country hospitality. It is attached to the Te Puhi farm house – a beautiful colonial home built in 1868 – and set in a rambling garden. The surrounding 35 acres of farmland has gradually been covered in native, deciduous and fruit trees, including a lemon grove, over the last twenty years.
The Cook’s Loft is 50 minutes from Wellington by train or car, three minutes from the township of Featherston and is strategically placed for guests to enjoy all that the South Wairarapa offers. We are five minutes from the Tarureka Estate wedding venue and is also close to other local wedding venues including Longwood, Little Branches and Tauherenikau Race Course. We are 15 minutes to the shops and fruit stalls of Greytown and 15 minutes to the vineyards of Martinborough. The Rimutaka Cycle Trail, Ocean Beach, Lake Ferry, Lake Wairarapa and the Tararua Forest Park for walks and bird watching – all are within easy reach.
We offer two bedrooms with queen-sized beds, and a modern bathroom with separate shower and bath. The Loft has an open-plan lounge and dining area with a fully equipped cook’s kitchen with stove, microwave, fridge/freezer and dishwasher facilities. The beds are comfortable with electric blankets, feather mattress toppers, handmade quilts and lots of pillows. Furnished with country antiques, the Cook’s Loft is light and airy with lots of recipe books, magazines and novels to browse or board games to play for a night in.
The gardens and the surrounding Te Puhi farm are there for you to enjoy. Set in the old orchard is the fully restored farm dray, originally built in 1897. There is a charming and productive kitchen garden which supplies organically grown ingredients for the Country Cooking School. You can enrol in a Country Cooking School class and stay at the Cook’s Loft afterwards to fully enjoy the long lunch that you’ve helped to prepare, which is matched with wines from the Wairarapa region.
Lavender’s Green Country Kitchen Shop, open by arrangement, stocks vintage kitchenware, Lavender’s Green country provisions and second-hand cook books in the old dairy (dated 1868)…
Sleeps four: Two queen beds | Minimum stay is two nights
$235 per night.
- Free Wi-Fi is available.
- Mobile phone coverage for both Vodafone and Spark.
- Colour TV with Sky (sports), DVD player, stereo.
- Generous breakfast provisions are provided, including freshly laid Te Puhi eggs, bacon, bread (Gluten free also available), home-made gluten free muesli, yoghurt and fruit.
- Chocolates and water for your bedside, slippers and robes are also available.
- Linen is provided and lots of soft, fluffy towels.
- Iron and ironing board and sewing supplies for last minute adjustments.
- Access to the Cook’s Loft is by stairs so the Loft is not suitable for wheel chairs.
- No children or pets.
- Please, only smoke outside and dispose of your butts carefully.